Lagos State Govt Compensates 70 Families of Ikeja Bomb Blast
Seventy families of victims of the January 27, 2002, Oke-Afa Canal, Lagos, tragedy, have been identified and listed by the Lagos State Government for compensation at the forthcoming 10th year commemoration, to take place at Oke-Afa Canal, this Friday.
Over the years, on an annual basis, the Lagos state government have organised a memorial celebration in honour of the victims.Part of what have been done was to approve the construction of a link bridge in Oke-Afa Canal area and this is almost concluded.”
Commissioner for Special Duties Dr. Wale Ahmed spoke with reporters on the activities lined up to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the explosion.
As part of activities marking the anniversary, he said the names of the victims would be engraved on a commemorative wall and professional training programmes will also be approved for divers who assisted the rescue team during the incident.
Ahmed said: “The state government has also put into cognisance, parents and families that lost their children and children who lost their parents in that incident. Such parents will be given a token, while the children will receive scholarships. This does not suggest that the state government was responsible for the incident and is giving a token as compensation. It is our way of reaching out to them.”
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State had earlier set up a 10-man anniversary committee to ensure proper and successful hosting of the anniversary, expected to have prominent Nigerians in attendance.
The verification exercise was done last Sunday at the Ejigbo LCDA, during which 70 families of the victims, who responded, were verified.